Don't let the difficulties of the present moments overshadow the reality of God's promises. God's promises still stand. And God's promises are stronger than our failures.

Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Thoughts From The Back Of An Ambulance

It started a week ago Friday, the day before Halloween, with a scratchy throat.  I ignored it because I had company coming for the weekend and really, isn't that what we women do?  On Saturday it was about the same but by Sunday afternoon I knew I had caught a cold.  And answer me this...why do we call it "catching" a cold, as if we'd been chasing it and finally, finally we caught it?  I, for one, avoid colds like the plague.  I wash my hands a lot, I use hand sanitizer, I wipe the handles of the carts at WalMart with their bleach wipes, I take Vitamin C.  But still, there it was.

It wasn't too bad, just a cough and stopped up sinuses, and so I continued on my merry way.  I went to Yoga on Sunday, Weight Watchers on Monday and Yoga again on Tuesday.  Where I got light headed and broke into a sweat.  Strange since I'm always cold and never hot.  Wednesday the cough was worse so about 6 that evening I put on my pajamas and settled in with my stitching.  And I coughed and coughed and coughed.  For hours.  Which triggered esophageal spasms that were so bad I couldn't get my breath.  Finally my husband got scared and called 911.  Well, to be honest it was me who got scared and told him to call 911.  :)

The First Responder from the Fire Department arrived pretty quickly.  He was such a sweet 13 year old.  I remember thinking that .... 13 years old and I wonder if he was one of my students.  Of course, the problem is that at my age everyone looks like a 13 year old.  I'm sure he was much older, maybe even 25.  He put oxygen on me and took my blood pressure.  Correction - he tried to take my blood pressure.  It was so high that it wouldn't register.  The ambulance arrived next and started asking questions.  Try the blood pressure again.  190/88.  I'm pretty sure I told them to try again because my blood pressure is really 120/60.  Always.

I thought they would just give me a shot, calm me down, and head on back to the ambulance home while I went to bed.  No they said.  Can you help us get you on the gurney they said.  Young man I've been getting myself up and around for 69 years and I'm not gonna stop now.  On the gurney, up into the ambulance.  Did you know that the lights inside the ambulance stay on while they drive?  And it's dark outside so everyone on the street can see you in there?  They put the EKG machine on me, trying very hard to keep me covered up.  For which I will be eternally grateful.  I would have hated riding down the highway with the girls showing.  The nice EMT tried to draw blood and tried to get an IV started.  I have the proof that he tried - several black bruises on my arm.  I offered to pray for his blood drawing skills.  I think that probably wasn't politically correct but it was definitely appropriate.

Did you know that from the back of an ambulance cars behind you look like giant eyes following you?  And that riding backwards like that gives a whole different perspective to travel?  Instead of looking where you're going you're looking at where you've been.  Think about that for a while.  We passed the Shoe Factory...I bought a really comfortable pair of shoes there once.  And there's the place where I used to get my oil changed when I had the car that the eighteen wheeler crushed.  Oh yea, that used to be the neighborhood market but it closed and I really miss it.  Looking back is ok but trust me, looking forward is much more uplifting and positive.

Don't worry, this story has a happy ending.  I got shots and meds and more oxygen and finally got back home about 3 a.m.  It's days later and I'm almost well.  In fact, if the weather weren't so awful today I'd have gone walking today.

And since I've been sidelined this last several days I've coughed and stitched and finished up The Second Day of Christmas and The Third Day of Christmas and The Fourth Day of Christmas!  Here's a couple of pics....


Or maybe there's one picture - I'll take the other pictures in a day or two.  These are from Plum Street Samplers and are her free patterns for her Sunday Sampler series.  You should check them out because they're so cute and so fast and fun.

Meanwhile I'll be back in a few days to show you how I'm finishing them.  I haven't actually decided yet how I want to finish them but I'll be sure and show you.  :)  Any suggestions?

53 comments:

Cricket-bug Corner said...

Love your ambulance insights. The blood draw part made me laugh but I'm sorry you had to go through that. Sounds like a scary incident. Im glad you are on the mend.

Gail said...

I am glad you are better. This stuff is a mess. I think I have mine whipped.

marly said...

Glad to hear you sought treatment! Don't push the healing, take your time. Thanks for the reminder about Paulette's designs.

Barb said...

So glad to hear you are ok, what a scare! Take it easy for awhile.I do love the new stitching. I will look forward to see what you are going to do with them.

Lesley said...

Oh my goodness..what a horrible situation. Thank goodness you are on the mend. Take care!

maria demina said...

Oh Marlene! Ypu wrote such a thrilling story...I am really glad to know that you are feeling all right now! Take care of yourself.
You made me smile with "at my age everyone looks like a 13 year old" :))) When I read that he was 13 years old I couldn't understand at first and though "oh, maybe he was a trainee from school...but why he had come alone?"

Vroomans' Quilts said...

Having been sick for almost 3 weeks, I laugh at the 'caught' theory. But not laughing at the ambulance ride, all so true and scarey. Glad you sought emergency help and that things are improving, but take time to heal.

Osage Bluff Quilter said...

You made me laugh out loud, to which the blacksmith said "what's so funny". Glad it turn out on the good side. . . Well until you see the ridiculous charges. (Voice of experience, the blacksmith ended up in the ER, 5 yes 5 days before his Medicare kicked in and with a $2000 deductible.)

I'll keep my eyes and ears open for more tag sales. After all I saw your sister at the good one I went to!

Anonymous said...

Oh my GOSH! I am glad you are on the mend, and what an insightful way to look at the ambulance ride. I am so sorry you had such a scary event. Take good care of yourself!

Ray and Jeanne said...

OMGosh what a time you've had. I'm so glad you are feeling better and that you are home. I hope your cough goes away soon. I've never had to ride in the back of an ambulance but I appreciate your comments. And yes, all of those EMS/hospital professionals look 13 years old - so young!!! ~Jeanne

Sherrill said...

WooWEE, that was scary!! Glad to hear you're on the mend. I actually had to ride 60 mi. in an ambulance MANY years ago when I miscarried in Pagosa Springs, CO then had to travel by ambulance to Durango where the hospital was for a D&C. That was a LONG backward look. :-(

Kyle said...

Oh, my gosh. I hadn't read your post before I just sent you an email. I'm so glad you're okay. Scary for sure.

Needled Mom said...

Well....that was an adventure. I am so glad that all turned out well and that you were able to be productive AND have a sense of humor! I hope you are soon back to 100%.

Irene said...

oh, stai meglio ora, vero? Che spavento! Pensa che io non avevo mai preso un raffreddore in vita mia fino adesso!! Qui c'è nebbia e freddo e ho preso il raffreddore!
Che bello il ricamo, lo sto facendo anch'io :)

Brigitte said...

Wow, wow, wow. That sounds like a scary situation. BUt I'm glad that you got out of it and are on the mend. Just take it easy. But funny to read all about what happened inside the ambulance :)

Brigitte said...

... besides that blood taking thing which certainly wasn't really funny.

butterfly said...

Poor you. hope you are feeling much better today.
Funny how we do every thing not to catch all these bugs but some how we do , I also have been off my feet for the last couple of days but back up today thank goodness .

Lovely stitching , take care hugs.

Sparky said...

thank goodness for miracles xxx you have to stick around, the world needs you x

Annie said...

That was some cold! Good heavens, you must have been scared. I'm amazed you were calm enough to make all those observations on the way to the hospital. Glad things are improving and you feel like stitching again.

Dorian said...

Oh marlene! My goodness. I'm so glad that you are feeling better. I hope that is the worst cold you get, and you wont have to deal with that all again.

krislovesfabric said...

Oh my Marlene, what a post! I am glad you are on the mend now and your humor is well-intact. Take care and take it easy, your stitchings are beautiful...I started collecting those patterns after I saw your first, they are wonderful. Prayers for you as well as the young phlebotomist! My Mom has trouble with draws and has floating veins so I know of the discomfort!

Jeanie said...

I'm so thankful for a happy ending! I always figure if the person is now making a blog post....things must be much better. So sorry you had to go through this. There have been lots of respiratory illnesses this year and it seems that all the hand sanitizer in the world isn't enough to ward it off. You continue to lay low and take care of yourself. Hope you have paid your dues and will now sail through winter without further illness. God Bless!

Vickie said...

Marlene you really scared me. I thought for sure you would tell us of heart trouble, with your family's history. I am so glad you are almost better. You take good care of you!!

allthingzsewn said...

Even in critical moments you have a great way of looking at things. And with that blood pressure it was critical. I believe God gives angles to watch over us, I think yours was there with you. So glad it is over. Get your strength back up and enjoy this holiday season. Ic case I don't see you again before Christmas have a great one. Marian over at Seams To Be Sew is having a hop starting today, you might enjoy following that. I did not know if you followed her or not.
Have a great day.

gpc said...

How frightening -- I have never been in the back of an ambulance and your most excellent description has convinced me to avoid it if I can. Then again, thank goodness they were there for you. I am glad to hear that you are feeling better. And I most heartily agree with your observation about 13 year olds -- seems they have taken over the professional world! Take it easy -- those walks will be there when you've had time to truly heal. By the way, your stitching is lovely, as is all your work.

Mary said...

I am so glad you are doing better. Loving your stitching. When you have to rest, it is always nice to have stitching. Thank you for the suggestion of the "Stash Unload" for more patterns. Like I need anymore now. I too am working on a few Christmas things. Quick and easy to get done. Continue to get well and take care of yourself. Prayers and healing coming your way.

Hilda said...

Oh my, Marlene, what a horrible story. But although it sounds scary I had to smile it the one or other part. You are telling it with so much charm and humor!

I am glad to read that you are feeling much better now. Sending the best wishes your way!

Hugs
Hilda

Karen said...

You found humor in a scary situation. I am happy that you are back home and on the mend.

Unknown said...

Oh dear , there had indeed caught you pretty , you arms . I'm so glad that you're doing well again and everything had a happy ending . I myself competed so far as a nurse in the ambulance and, unfortunately, as a mom . Since my daughter a few years ago was pretty sick , it was the worst trip of my life but these had Thankfully a happy ending .
I wish you continued good improvement , take care of yourself . Oh and almost vergessen..smile ... your embroidery is very beautiful .
Greetings Sandra

Adrienne said...

I'm so glad you are OK. It's pretty amazing the thoughts we have - and what seems important - in moments like this. If only we could see things that way without the trauma!
~Adrienne~

Farm Quilter said...

I am so glad you are doing better!!! You've convinced me, I'm staying home and away from people as much as possible!!!

Judy1522 said...

Glad that you are doing better. You had a great sense of humor through it all. Thanks for the information on the sampler. I have been looking for that type of sampler but was not finding them.

Preeti said...

Glad to know that you are feeling better now. Your stitching looks lovely!!

Robin in Virginia said...

I am glad you are feeling much better, Marlene and very thankful you sought help. What a scary situation for you. Your stitching looks great. What fabric are you using for your blocks?

QuiltShopGal said...

What an experience. I hope it is only once in a lifetime. Fighting for a breadth of air is not fun. So glad to hear you are getting better and I hope you soon feel 100%.

QuiltShopGal
www.quiltshopgal.com

Julie Fukuda said...

I have never been in an ambulance and even with your humour added, I don't think I want to give it a try.
Glad it had a positive ending but hope you will find some other form of entertainment.

gloria. said...

beautiful embroidery

Teatime Creations said...

I am so glad that you are feeling better. Wonderful description of an ambulance drive. I always say a silent prayer when one flies by with lights flashing. Take care and wishing you peaceful healing.

Tracy P. said...

Ooh, yikes, Marlene! So glad it was a happy ending!

Heleen Groot said...

Knowing full well how incredibly scary that can be.....Glad to hear that you are feeling better! Thank you also for your report on the experience in the back of the ambulance. I do not remember that clearly my own ride. Except for the IV (which they smartly did before I got into the ambulance, but sucked at just the same), the shaking I did and the nice ambulance guy that laid over my legs to keep them still. He was a smoker and I could smell that! I decided to keep it to a one time experience. I hope you will too!

Michele said...

Oh boy that's not good. Glad your story had a happy ending and you won't have any need to see the back of the ambulance again anytime soon.

Carol said...

I'm so glad you are on the mend, Marlene! What an experience... I've only been in an ambulance once, but that was in the daytime--nighttime rides sound so much worse!

You relax and take extra good care of yourself now--sitting and stitching the pretty PSS blocks sounds perfect for this weekend :)

tink's mom said...

What a thought provoking post. So glad that you are up to writing thought provoking and doing your stitching. You sound almost mended. I'll send a quick prayer for the finish of the nasty bug.

KaHolly said...

Oh, my goodness! So glad there was a happy ending. I've had a miserable cold, too, but compared to your frightful experience, it has been nothing! Stay well and keep on stitching!

Purple Pam said...

What a wonderful rendition of your ambulance ride. It almost makes me want to have one, almost! LOL! Glad you are getting better. If you start to cough again, get to the doctor right away and avoid another ambulance ride please.

Catherine said...

I am glad you are on the mend so to speak! A great description of your ambulance ride! I`ve loaded people into ambulances. It`s nice to read a perspective from somebody taking part in the ride. I`ve been in the back, just not as a patient.

How is your brother? I get so wrapped up in myself I sometimes forget other people. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

Mary Ann said...

So happy that you are feeling better. Take care, enjoy your stitching.

Anonymous said...

What a delightful commentary on your horrible trip to the hospital! Love every word. I also have an acute bronchitis and have been coughing now for three weeks! Hope you are getting better. I like the stitching you have been doing...the free ones from Plum Street Sampler...they are delightful. I am saving them for another time!
Happy Thanksgiving!

Gabri millecrocette said...

Hope you are very good now!!Love

Quiltgal said...

Oh Marlene, I read your blog regularly but don't often comment. But this time I could not read without saying do take care of yourself and don't push the recovery. Stitch in peace and rest up.

blue star stitcher said...

What a scary way for a cold to go, glad they took care of you and hopefully you are already back on your feet.

Anna said...

holey moley...how did I miss this post! it is so dramatic and scary reading it in it's entirety. Well I am glad I read it knowing you got better :) my oldest son is a paramedic and they are the first angels we encounter :) Glad that I know you recovered, LOL

Michelle said...

Oh, Marlene, I'm so sorry I missed this post. I am so glad you are ok, and I enjoyed your story. You always put humor in your stories, but that is who you are. So positive and uplifting and you just put humor in everything. I think that's why I love you so much.

I hope you are enjoying your Christmas season. I'm a bit behind. I've been working, and life has been a bit crazy. Louie got fired after 24 years and 7 months at the same job, and then the water heater decided to pour over 20 gallons on my quilting room floor (it THEN got relocated to the lower bathroom, and went from gas to electric because of the venting), and then my van wouldn't start one day, and he fixed that, thinking it was the fuel pump relay, but a week later, it quit again, so he was my go-to guy for finding parts and a shop to fix it, so between fixing things and looking for jobs, we have been a bit crazy. He put up the tree for me, but it still isn't decorated, and no gifts are wrapped, but life is good, and God is ever faithful!
Love you,
Michelle