Don't let the difficulties of the present moments overshadow the reality of God's promises. God's promises still stand. And God's promises are stronger than our failures.

Thursday, August 18, 2016

Zucchini Relish Anyone?


Last week my friend and neighbor cooked supper for Jerry and I - she brought pinto beans and rice and cornbread, a real southern meal!  She also brought some zucchini relish to put on our beans.  Her aunt had made it and given her a jar so she shared with me.  It was so good I requested the recipe and made it today.  It would be delicious on anything you use sweet relish for.  Would you like the recipe?

12 cups diced zucchini (she used a food processor but I used a Vidalia Onion Chopper)
              ( I used 6 pretty large zucchini, which ended up being just over 12 cups)
4 cups diced onion
2 green and/or red peppers, diced

Mix this together and stir in 5 Tablespoons canning salt.  Mix well and let stand overnight.  (I left mine about 4 hours).  Drain and rinse well in a colander.  Add this to a pan containing:

2 1/2 cups vinegar
4 cups sugar (you could add more but it's really sweet with just 4)
1 Tablespoon dry mustard
3/4 Teaspoon turmeric
1 1/2 Teaspoons celery seed
1/2 Teaspoon black pepper

Bring to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes.  I water bath canned this for 15 minutes for my altitude.  It made about 72 ounces.  You can use pint jars but I chose the 4 oz jars because we don't eat that much at one time and I thought these would be a good size to give away.  I also added a teaspoon of diced jalapeno pepper to some of the jars (after I marked the lid!) for my husband.  He loves a little heat but I don't.

Enjoy!

18 comments:

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

Thank you!!!!! Sounds yummy

Suzette said...

I love zucchini season - such abundance! I just made zucchini fritters for dinner. Maybe I'll eat the cold leftovers for breakfast, too.

Barb said...

That sounds very good! This is sure zucchini time of year!

Julie Fukuda said...

I love anything zucchini but it is hard to find on this side of the pond. Now and then one might find one in a store but from the price, no one could guess how easy it is to grow. Maybe I should get a few seeds to toss in the weed lot. It is certain no one would pull the plant up and maybe I could have a summer of fun.

krislovesfabric said...

Sounds good Marlene, I just made some with cucumbers that is my go to but with all the zucchinis around I may make this too, thank you :)

Love Bears All Things said...

What a nice neighbor...doesn't it always look nice to see jars of something you're put up...I love those little jars and what nice gifts they'll make.
Mama Bear

Sparky said...

oh my your zucchini relish sounds good but very sweet...I make relish but no sugar is added at all nor vinegar, and yet it is very flavourful....which for us, is so like everything I make, since i really don't have a sweet tooth at all...I can't even tell you the last time I even purchased sugar....I am so pleased you are canning so much Marlene, you keep us on our toes and inspired..

Brigitte said...

That sounds absolutely delicious. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

ChitterChatterDesigns said...

It has been really nice catching up with you Marlene. You are sure making the most of the summer bounty. I love to see all of your beautiful food, with sprinkles of stitching here and there. Wish I could get as much done as you. How about I come by for a visit and "sample" your hard work...lol. Keep up the deliciousness because I sure enjoy stopping by. You give me hope that homemaking is alive and well in this day and age. It is a beautiful thing to see. x

ChitterChatterDesigns said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gabri millecrocette said...

Nice taste from your kitchen...and good recipe with zucchini...so funny you called them with italian name!!Kisses and good week

FlourishingPalms said...

You're such a cook! This recipe sounds wonderful, but I wouldn't have a clue about how to do a water bath. I remember my grandma doing that, but I never learned. And since my hubs is the cook in the family, it's likely I'll never learn. But it's fun seeing what you've been up to! Definitely something worthwhile.

MartinaM said...

That looks really tasty.
Thanks for the recipe.
Greetings, Martina

Eggs In My Pocket said...

This sounds so wonderful and looks so pretty! Thank you for sharing the recipe!

Hilda said...

Thank you for the recipe, Marlene! I should safe it for the time, when I will have vegetable in my garden again. Zucchinis are that kind of vegetable that we normally harvest the most of.
Thank you, and have a great day!

Hugs
Hilda

Ranch Wife said...

Oh, yum! You know I'll be adding that jalapeno to ours! :) Thank you, Marlene. This time of the year, the zucchini is piling up!

Val said...

Wow!!! I need to do this too!!! Sounds so good. I LOVE canning!!!

Catherine said...

Hi! Thank you for sharing your recipe. It`s been months since I visited blogs. It is so nice to catch up. Glad to read you are doing well. I enjoyed my visit.