Don't let the difficulties of the present moments overshadow the reality of God's promises. God's promises still stand. And God's promises are stronger than our failures.

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Can You Smell The Flowers?

Last weekend my sister got to keep her two grandchildren. On Saturday, a beautiful fall day, they decided to go by the cemetary to check on the flowers on her husband's grave. On this particular day the sun was shining, there was a nice breeze but it was warm enough to be out, the leaves were falling...can't you just picture it? There are rolling hills and big, old oak trees everywhere. This cemetary is very well maintained and most of the markers have urns built in on both sides. Families bring beautiful artificial flowers for every season so when you look across the cemetary you see spots of bright colors. It's such a peaceful place and when you're there the world seems to fade away.

As Sherry was doing a little cleaning around the grave Ella, who is 3 1/2 years old, spied the flowers. Bending just a little she sniffed appreciately. And ran from stone to stone all around the cemetary smelling the flowers. "Oh Nana, smell this one!" and "Nana, Nana, come and smell this one." They could hardly get her to leave because she was so enthralled with the wonderful scents of the flowers. The artificial flowers.

Oh, how I want to be like Ella. I want to smell the flowers even when there's no scent there. I want to see the beauty when there's no light. I want to hear the music when there's no sound. I want to count the blessings of what God has given me with the joy of a child.

Can you smell the flowers? If you can't, why not? Let's don't be adults, just for today. Let's be children today and see all the wonderful things this world offers us. Will you do that with me?

10 comments:

Michelle said...

ABSOLUTELY! Let's do it EVERY day! Be blessed,
Michelle

Marge said...

Lovely post! And I'm all for smelling the artificial flowers, today and everyday!

Needled Mom said...

I agree. So often we do not take the time.

Tracy P. said...

Wow, this is beautiful!

Jody Blue said...

Is.11:6...and a little child will lead them...

Sandy said...

I refuse to grow up! What a wonderful post!

Gypsy Quilter said...

To see things through a child's eyes is to see the world anew! I'm all for it.

molly said...

Totally agree! If we could be as enthusiastic about the marvels of the world as children are, life would be much more fun!

Several of us fell in love, just as you did, with that Twelve Days pattern! As soon as we get the info I'll pass it on to you.

Lindi said...

Definitely! What a beautiful post.

Flowers said...

I love flowers as I love its fragrance. Your post on smelling the flower is very very beautiful. Only the picture of flowers seems to be missing.