Don't let the difficulties of the present moments overshadow the reality of God's promises. God's promises still stand. And God's promises are stronger than our failures.

Monday, November 9, 2009

A Little More of This and A Lot More of That (More Cooking Adventures)

As promised I'm reporting back on a couple of recipes I tried this week - both stolen directly from you, my blogging friends. I'm always reluctant to try new things since I've been known to burn simple things, like a pot of beans. But these two sounded so good that I decided to bite the bullet and give it a try. I knew up front that biting the bullet might end up being literal as that could be all we had for lunch if the recipes didn't work but I'm pleased to announce that ya'll know what you're doing with these two recipes.



First the bad news. I like to buy those Hormel or Tyson prepared meats...you know the kind you find over in the "I'm too lazy to cook tonight so what do you have that I can zap for four minutes and pretend I cooked" section? The price isn't bad ($5-$6) and mostly we like them although I'm not sayin' they're low cal or low sodium or low anything except low work for me. I had a $2 coupon, and I'm all about coupons, so I bought a new one we hadn't tried before - Hormel Apple Bourbon Pork Chops. Trust me on this one, it would have taken a lot more bourbon to make those good, and I hate bourbon. I should have gone with the tried and true beef roast or pork roast. Lesson learned.



Now the good news. I had this wonderful spaghetti squash (truth be told I have several boxes of spaghetti, butternut and acorn squash my sister shared with me out of her garden hidden in my living room coat closet, but that's another story for another day) that I wanted to cook. Judy over at My Lime Green Kitchen posted a recipe for Italian Spaghetti Squash and it not only sounded good, but it also sounded simple. Right up my alley. You can check out the recipe for yourself but if you like spaghetti squash I bet you'll like it. I did eliminate the bell peppers since they hate my stomach, or my stomach hates them one, and I didn't have all the spices she mentioned mainly because I also don't like sage but other than that I followed her recipe exactly. Oh, except I doubled the butter and parmesan cheese. And instead of fresh tomatoes I used a can of Italian stewed tomatoes. And...no, that's all I changed, promise.



And for dessert (here's the really best part since dessert is usually the best part, right?) Janet's Crescent Cream Cheese Sensations! Janet writes in the Blackberry Patch (I guess her blackberry's must be thornless and yes, there really are thornless blackberries) and this woman knows what she's talking about! I had crescent rolls and cream cheese that I'd bought on sale (by now you should have figured out I hardly buy anything if it's not on sale) and besides, if it has cream cheese on it I'll eat it no matter what it is. This is a great dessert and would make a wonderful breakfast dish. It tastes just like a cheese danish! Not too sweet or too rich - just doggone good!

I've been drooling over a couple of other recipes that I think I'll try later this week now that I'm well on my way to becoming an expert cook. Quit laughing! I'll let you know how it goes.

5 comments:

Michelle said...

You're making me hungry, and I cook even less than you!
be blessed,
Michelle

molly said...

Those cream cheese sensations are making my mouth water!

Lea and her Mustangs said...

I hate to cook but will look up the recipe for spagetti squash. Someone gave us one and I have never fixed it. I know, everyone has but me. I do like squash so that won'[t be a problem. The dessert sounds yummy too but I don't fix too man. Did you read my 20 year hiatus on pies?

Grammy Staffy said...

I am so impressed with all of your cooking. You put me to shame. I should stop throwing food together and get creative like you. I can't wait to try your chocolate pumpkin cake.
Keep up the good work. Hugs, Lura

Marie Rayner said...

Everything sounds so tasty Marlene. Of course we don't get the Hormel things over here, but I have decided that homemade stuff always tastes better than the mixes etc. and it's always a lot cheaper in the homerun as well.