Don't let the difficulties of the present moments overshadow the reality of God's promises. God's promises still stand. And God's promises are stronger than our failures.

Sunday, November 16, 2008

A Sock Fanatic


Three years ago during our first camping trip to Colorado in June it got cold. I didn't realize just how cold it still was up on the mountain! I went to the outdoor shop and bought 2 pairs of wool socks. SmartWool Socks. And fell in love. The next year when I went back I bought more. I bought two pair to wear with shoes and two soft fuzzy pairs to wear around the house. The soft fuzzy ones have worn completely through! This summer/fall we didn't make our annual trip because of the price of gas so I was moaning and groaning loudly that I wasn't going to get any socks. This weekend when my sister was here we ran into the outdoor shop here in Hot Springs. She is my partner in crime and every time I bought socks in Colorado she did too. Or vice versa depending which one of us is telling this story. If you have a sister you probably know exactly what I mean. If she gets one, I want one. If I get one, she wants one. No matter what it is. And usually we just go ahead and buy two of whatever and give one to the other because if we don't somebody is gonna' be mad. :) I digress, sort of. Saturday we found "our" socks! Right here in Hot Springs! We didn't have to drive all the way to Colorado to get them and we were happy campers. And better than that, they were on sale! Half price! We both have small feet and apparently small isn't a real popular size in wool socks because that's the only size that was on sale. We bought all they had - 10 pair apiece. I know, I know. But half price - remember the half price part. We figured that at that price we could put some back and have wool socks for years.
If you think about it socks are very important to our lives. When you're cold and you put on a pair of socks, don't you just warm up likity split? Did I spell that right? Did I even say that right? You know what I mean! And if you're feeling a little down can't you put on a pair of silly socks and cheer right up? If you're socks get wet aren't you just miserable? If you're hands get cold and you don't have mittens you can just put socks on your hands and be fine. You'd look silly but your hands would be warm. You can put an old pair of socks on your hands, spray them with Pledge, and dust your furniture. That works great if you haven't tried it. I'm sure if you think about it you could think of lots of uses for socks. Right?
So here are the questions of the day. Are you a sock fanatic? What kind can't you live without? And what can you do with socks besides wear them on your feet? Got any great tips for sock use?

18 comments:

Marie Rayner said...

I love socks myself. I just love the feeling of the sheets against my feet when I get into bed and take my socks off. I know, I'm a real wierdo, lol.

J'Ollie Primitives said...

I am a Sock Freak. I use my grandmother's pattern to knit wooly socks for Christmas gifts but only for the folks that want a pair :)

Must have two pairs of thick socks on, winter and summer. Good for skating on hardwood floors.

Twisted Fencepost said...

Don't ya just love it when you find a good deal on something you love! And have the money on hand to take advantage of the deal!
You can use old socks to put shoes in to pack in your suitcase for a trip.

Anonymous said...

Yes I'm another sock person and have to have wear them, winter and summer. I like Gold Toe with the top that folds to make a one-thickness cuff, can't stand the kind that come only to the ankle or that are too tall, and I need the bit of spandex or whatever it is that keeps them snug and not stretched out. I have some thick wool socks that I put over my other socks when my feet are simply too too frozen but I can't fit them into shoes because they are a very heavy yarn but they sure are foot warmers. Besides dusting with old socks I use thin ones to clean my brass faucets so they don't get scratched. I can easily slide them between the handle and behind the faucet in the small spaces, works great. I too have small feet.

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

I love socks too but alas, with my size 10 clod hoppers, it is hard to find warm and comfy ones in my size - pretty? FORGET IT! So I buy men's trouser socks. They come in thick and thin and in all the right colors for trousers, and they are usually cheaper than woman's too!
I use old socks when packing away my breakables after Christmas. I slip a Father Christmas in each sock and they are nicely cushioned. And if one of them dare's to object (they are men after all) I just tell him to put a sock on it!

Joyful said...

This is too funny because my sister and I were out shopping together on Friday. She has her Christmas shopping almost all done, but she said she still wanted to get me some little extra. I immediately suggested she buy me some 'fun socks'.

My feet are usually always cold in the winter, so I like cozy, soft socks.

I like to keep my feet happy :o) They really are amazing when you think of all they do all day!
Have a great day!
Joy

Janet, said...

I'm not really a sock fanatic. I usually buy the 6 pack of the ones that come up over your ankle. When they wear out, I but another pack. I remember the knee hi socks we used to wear when I was young. I loved them!

Anonymous said...

Hi--Just recently began reading your blog.
Socks! I used to be known for my socks---all kinds of fun and colorful ones--as an activity director. I still have a few pairs that are "pictures on my feet", but now resort to white. Yeah, retirement sacrifices...
Live in Colorado, know about your socks....Lucky gal!

sister sheri said...

I love socks! I just wish it was okay to where them with sandals... but it rains too much here to do that!

molly said...

Oh yes! My mother-in-law never throws anything away until she squeezes a last use from it...So yes I know about old socks for dusting, and before you toss 'em use them to gather up whatever unmentionables have gathered under the kitchen cabinet overhang....
Don't know if you're a knitter, but I'm wanting to learn the technique of knitting two socks together [as in at the same time/on the same needles!] There are books on same at the local "fabric merchant," and a 50% off coupon burning a hole in my pocket!

Cindy said...

I like socks when it is cold. Otherwise I'm a bare-footer! lol Today I'm wearing my fleecy socks as I putter around the house.

Love Bears All Things said...

Yes your feet are kind of a thermostat. If you're hot in bed, just stick a foot out. And if you're cold put on those socks.
Glad you found yours.
Mama Bear

Marge said...

SmartWools are awesome! I was turned on to them by my son who lives in Alaska, and wears them all the time. I have 7 pairs, and wear them all the time, with boots, tennis shoes, and sometimes with my Teva sandals! Would love to find them half price!

Tracy P. said...

Any socks will do--but I've gotta have a good pair of slippers on top of them!

Adrienne said...

I love socks, too. I didn't used to have many but a couple of years ago I discovered the wonders of wool socks during the winter. Yes, when you're cold and you put them on - viola! Warms your feet and your heart.
~Adrienne~

Anonymous said...

I love my socks too! I wear socks around the house in the winter and the summer!

Heather said...

I was about to say, "You email your friend in Colorado and tell her to send you socks ASAP!" ...and I would.

Angie said...

I like those socks that have non-slip patches on the soles but they are never nice and soft. Always go hard i the wash.

love, Angie, xx