Don't let the difficulties of the present moments overshadow the reality of God's promises. God's promises still stand. And God's promises are stronger than our failures.

Monday, November 1, 2010

Ok you girls can quit hounding me for an update on the new floor.  Hundreds of you just keep asking and asking what I did.  Well maybe not hundreds but several.  Well maybe not several but someone asked me.  I'm pretty sure someone asked anyway.  I went with the LVT (which is luxury vinyl tile and I'm fairly certain that luxury is stretching things but that's what it's called).  It comes in either squares and looks like tile, or planks and looks like laminate.  I chose the planks.  Then once you decide you want planks, it comes in different "woods".  I think this one was supposed to be pine but all I know is that it blended with the brick walls, rock fireplace and wood trim - and trust me that was a job finding one that would do that!  In addition, this house is on a little lake and so I wanted something that looked more rustic than polished.  The durability was what really sold me but I must say, now that it's down I'm very pleased.





This is really kind of an odd room.  Originally this house was U shaped with a deck between 2 bedrooms that made up the legs of the U.  Back in 1990, before we bought the house, it flooded.  I mean really flooded... 52" of water in the living room.  They took it down to the studs and rebuilt.  When they did that they enclosed the deck.  It is 12' x 32' and I sort of "divide" it into 2 areas of use.  My husband's office is on one end and my "nest" is on the other.  The fireplace is in between.  It gets lots of traffic because we keep wood on the deck in the winter and have to come in and out to the fireplace with the wood.  And it's the way we go out to the deck and the back yard and the lake so you can imagine everything that's tracked in.  My grandchildren claim the end where I nest and I let them watch television, make tents, have snacks and pretty much whatever else they want in there.  This floor should hold up to all of that!  Cleaning is a breeze - I can mop with pretty much any cleaner but I like vinegar.  I can use my Shark steam cleaner if it gets too bad.  But mostly just a Swiffer will do the trick.  I'm pretty pleased with it and more than pleased that the carpet is gone!

15 comments:

Julie Fukuda said...

That sure does look super. I'm glad you found something that meets your needs and sensibilities as well. Hard to think of that as "tile"

FabricFascination said...

It looks great! I am so with you on this type of flooring over carpet.

Angie said...

That DOES look nice! Now I've seen it down I want some for my kitchen. We have laminate in the living room, dining room and hall way and some "non-slip even when wet" stuff in the kitchen and bathroom. Our bedroom has just got a new carpet because it's the only room where I just couldn't bear to have a solid surface. I didn't fancy putting my little tootsies out on the cold floor in winter!

Osage Bluff Quilter said...

The floor looks great, it sure doesn't look like title!

Arkansas Patti said...

Looking good. I wish I had gone with the rustic look like you did. I went with polished and the polish does wear off in traffic patterns with time.
The ease of cleaning however is a wonderful asset.
Enjoy.

Lori said...

Your floor looks great and I love the way it coordinates with the brick on the fireplace. A very nice look!

Amy said...

The floor looks fantastic!

Jody Blue said...

Isn't it just so much fun to update!

Marge said...

Beautiful! Love the cozy rustic look. Good choice!

Lena . . . said...

We just did our living room, dining room, kitchen and back hallway in the laminate and I wouldn't go back to carpet for anything. It's so much easier to clean and so much less dust in the house. Ole's allergies have improved immensely since getting rid of all that carpet. I've already purchased the laminate for the bedroom and the office. Those carpets are next.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Mighty purdy floor there, ma'am. Upkeep will be a breeze,more time to quilt! ;)

Michelle said...

VERY nice!

Lindah said...

Your new floor looks really nice. I can feel your pleasure at being done with the carpet there. I've been wondering about the floor project --but I was polite and didn't ask. ;-) I love looking out your windows at your wonderful views.

Lea and her Mustangs said...

Love your floor. We got rid of carpet 2/3 years ago. So much better. Posted up to 500 on my list today. You will recognize some LOL.

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

Love it! It looks perfect and the fact you can clean it so easily makes it even better! You made a wonderful choice!
xx, shell