Don't let the difficulties of the present moments overshadow the reality of God's promises. God's promises still stand. And God's promises are stronger than our failures.

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

The Madness Has To Stop!


This is a redwork wall hanging I finished this year called “The Quilter’s Stash.” That’s the way I feel after a trip to the quilt shop – where oh where can I put this fabric? The drawers are full, the shelves are overflowing, there’s fabric in baskets and plastic bins and even empty suitcases….the madness has to stop! Oh, it’s organized….folded and sorted by color families or holidays or backings or fat quarter stacks. When I started quilting in 1995 I bought lots of calicos, which I rarely use any more. And I couldn’t figure out what print went with what color, etc. so I bought lots of navy, burgundy, forest green and cream. Sometimes I just bought it because it was on sale – don’t laugh, you know you’ve done the same thing. But it’s time to let go of some of it. I’ve made up my mind, don’t try to stop me. I’m going to give some away. Now which pieces do I choose – and how much? The navy with tiny pink flowers or the green with red spirals? The rusty burgundy with green dots or the cream with navy paisleys? Could you choose between your children? I think not! I am convinced that fabric manufacturers put something in the dye that’s addictive. It’s the same way with Sonic diet Cokes – have you ever noticed how many women are addicted to those things? So tell me, do you know the cure for this addiction? If you do I know a lot of fabricalohics who will pay big money to get it!

9 comments:

Elaine Adair said...

Your post is soooo timely - I just sat down to rest after moving fabric, folding it, putting some under the bed ... oh you already know about all the places. The problem for me with putting it out of sight is that I will never remember what goes with what, but I just cannot STAND looking at the clutter any more.

I HAVE been good about NOT buying more fabric this year, but the books and DVD area, I've failed.

Wendy said...

I know exactly how you feel but unfortunately I'm feeling the same way. I want to clean out some fabric but where to start??? And do I keep a small piece of each or just get rid of the entire piece??? So many questions and no answers....sigh

molly said...

Choose a simple pattern and make charity quilts. My guild makes them for elderly folks in homes, babies in neonatal units; then there's Project Linus---of course you'd have to put in a little work, and I realise you probably just want it out of there! Donate to some church ladies who make quilts for good causes. If you have patriotic themed fabric you could make a quilt or donate the fabric to Operation Home Front. They make a quilt for each family who has lost a loved one in the military in the war in Iraq.
There! Aren't you glad you asked?

Karen said...

Love the redwork stitchery. And yes I am one who had fabric stashed in a couple rooms. Hard to give the children away but you can do it. Then you will have room for new and exciting fabrics.

diamondstatecurlygurl said...

I just happen to know one of your beloved children who would be glad to take fabric off your hands if you decide you can part with it! The only catch is.. you have would have to put it in some sort of "bundles" because she can't pick out the right colors/patterns that work together!

Sharon said...

Well, the cure for me was having to move it all - and the bill for moving it!! $$$! But, it seems to be wearing off, unfortunately. Some day I will be brave enuf to post pix of what my sewing room looked like before I moved. My son called it the Cr*p room, not the Craft room! Yes, I do think they put something addictive in the fabric. It truly is a sickness, and I'm trying to deal with it. Do you think someone has come up 12 steps to cure it??

Rebecca Ramsey said...

I love redwork--and this post! I know exactly what you mean.
And don't get me started on my Sonic addiction!
Becky

Purple Pam said...

The redwork is darling. I like that particular picture. Your post is very timely for me as well. I have fabric in three rooms, and the linen closet in the hall. If I never buy any more fabric every again (I would probably go crazy!) I could make lots of quilts for the rest of my life. I might need a backing, and definitely batting, but not much else.

Rhondi said...

Hi
Can't help you. I am a quilter so of course I am addicted to fabric too!
Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. I'll make sure I have the kettle on next time and I can make us a cup of tea.
Rhondi