Don't let the difficulties of the present moments overshadow the reality of God's promises. God's promises still stand. And God's promises are stronger than our failures.

Friday, May 9, 2008

A Mother's Day Memory

I am one of the blessed ones who had a Mother and two Grandmother's who quilted. As Mother's Day approaches I want to honor my Mom by showing you this beautiful wedding ring quilt she made for me several years ago. She offered to make me a quilt and I made only one request...blue. Who would have thought she'd choose this most difficult pattern? But isn't that what Mother's do for their children? They choose the wing of the chicken for themselves and give you the breast, they spend way too much on your Easter dress and wear last year's dress themselves, they pick the difficult quilt pattern to make for you and wouldn't dream of making it for themselves...sacrifices made and not even thought of as sacrifices. My Mom was a funny lady....I remember one time when my Dad was going to be traveling for a week and asked her to pack his suitcase. Now you have to understand my Mom believed in folks taking care of themselves as much as they were able. And she loved a joke. She packed Daddy's suitcase for him all right, but before she did she sewed the fly shut on all his boxers! She giggled all week when she thought about what she'd done. That was before cell phones and we were so poor Daddy never would have thought of calling home. But you can just imagine what he was thinking! He must have liked her jokes because they were married 63 years when he died! Hope your memories are just as special.

5 comments:

Rebecca Ramsey said...

Your mom sounds wonderful! How funny she was! I love that practical joke. And the quilt is gorgeous!

Thank you for your sweet comment on my blog! I'd love to link to yours, if that's okay.

Happy Spring to you!
Becky

Karen said...

What a wonderful tribute to your mother.
The boxer story is a hoot!

Juliann in WA said...

I have somehow just stumbled on your blog this morning and what a beautiful quilt you mom has made. Lovely memories too.

MARCIE said...

That is really an awesome wedding ring quilt! Cute story about your mom! Welcome to blogland!

Rose Marie said...

Love the quilt and the tribute to your Mom!