Don't let the difficulties of the present moments overshadow the reality of God's promises. God's promises still stand. And God's promises are stronger than our failures.

Saturday, May 17, 2008

Katie Sees a Snake!!!!!




Picture this. There’s a big tree next to the woodpile at Connie & Larry’s campsite. Out in front of the woodpile is the burn pit. There’s a camper on either side of that. Curled up at the base of the tree is a four foot water moccasin. When the snake was sighted by Fay (Larry’s 87 year old step-mother) she ran to the camper while Connie went screaming to the picnic table where she contemplated climbing it. Patti, Fay’s daughter, was “indisposed” in the bathroom of the camper, where she began yelling “what’s happening?” The two monkeys, Katie and Dolly, started screaming, hopping up and down, and rattling the cage they were in. Larry, being the only man at the site, knew he had to be the one to kill it. He was in shorts and flip flops and had a big sledge hammer and a pair of fire tongs. I’m not sure what he was going to do with the fire tongs but he needed all weapons available. The women are yelling at Larry, the monkeys are screaming and jumping, the snake is trying to strike the nearest person (Larry) and Larry pins the snake down with the sledge hammer. Fay, remember she is 87, decides she needs to come help him since the two younger women obviously aren’t going to do it so (Mom to the rescue!) She comes out of the camper and grabs a piece of wood off the woodpile so she can beat the snake about the head. Then everyone is yelling at her to get away before she falls down and, finally, the snake is dead – Larry, not Fay, killed it. Picture the bedlam! I almost wish I'd been there. Later that evening I’m sitting in a lawn chair between the fire and woodpile when I think….ok, momma snake is dead, baby snakes are in the woodpile, daddy snake comes home to no dinner, screaming kids, absent momma, and he goes looking for her and what does he find but blood splatters on the grass and me. Time for me to go home!







Mary, Mary, Quite Contrary is done! I stitched yesterday until my thumb hurt and I had to take Tylenol but I finished her and she is so sweet…I can’t wait to get her put into a pillow. This morning I got out my herb blocks and the Winter Wonderland blocks and the pumpkin appliqué blocks and tried to decide which to do next. Decisions, decisions. I didn’t bring my sewing machine on this camping trip although I often bring my Featherweight. It’s the perfect size to fit into the basket I use as a coffee table and a small cutting mat/ironing surface is easy to stick in the closet. My dining table has an electrical outlet right next to it and an overhead light and windows on two sides so it’s an ideal spot to sit and sew and watch the birds and squirrels. But I remind myself I brought books to read and puzzles to put together and haven’t done much of either. The one bad thing about getting away from home like this is that you dream of all the “relaxing stuff” you want to do and you’d have to stay a month to get that relaxed!



Here’s a picture of a baby quilt I got sandwiched together before I left home this week. It’s ready to be quilted but I just can’t decide how I want to do it. Any suggestions? This quilt is going to Haley Grace, the daughter of my niece, who was born April 27th. The alphabet letters were machine embroidered and the border fabric is Clifford, The Big Red Dog. Should I just stitch in the ditch or try to outline the letters or something else that I’m not thinking of? I’m going to machine quilt it and I’m ready to start when I get home if I can just make this decision!








4 comments:

Adrienne said...

I'd be screaming, too, if I saw a snake. I don't care what kind they are. Your embroidery is wonderful. I would love to do more but so far I don't have time to finish the things I've started recently.

Thanks for stopping by my blog and for leaving your sweet comments. I'm glad to 'meet' a blog friend who knows the world of chaplains and the blessing we gain from the lives of those we meet.

I'll be back again soon to see what you have to share.
~Adrienne~

MARCIE said...

Boy, you people know how to party! all that jumping around! Your Mary, Mary is sooo adorable! Your monkeys sound like quilters picking threads off each other! Have fun camping!

bj said...

oh, I love your baby quilt...and the red work is so pretty....
I am not good at crafts and sure not anything having to do with sewing...
My mom was so very good at all of it..her quilts are absolute works of art. I am not sure why I didn't get some of her talent but I sure didn't. She was always so good, I didn't even try...now, I wish, so much, that I had tried learning to quilt from her. Now that she is gone, I can think of all kinds of things I should have learned from her, really. I DID learn a lot of her recipes and I am so glad for that.
Pls. come back by to see me sometime...
I am away from my computer..staying with sweet grandkids this week and weekend...fun times!!
hugs, bj

Unknown said...

OK, the snake story is one of my worst nightmares!!!

Love the quilts!
:)