Don't let the difficulties of the present moments overshadow the reality of God's promises. God's promises still stand. And God's promises are stronger than our failures.

Saturday, September 13, 2008

Interruptions

I was reading a recent post (well maybe not so recent since I'm behind on my blog reading) that Joy wrote at His Ponderings that made me stop and think. Joy wrote about being interrupted in her quiet time, her Bible time, by her 3 year old son asking how to get Jesus in his heart. Wow! A sweet story, to be sure, but what struck me about it was how many times my life is interrupted and how differently I sometimes respond to those interruptions.


Last week when I was driving to my sister's my trip was interrupted by a contaminated brake system. As a result I spent an hour waiting on a tow truck and nearly four hours in the tow truck. During that hour I had a nice visit with a sweet woman working at the Dairy Queen where I was stranded. And had a really long conversation with the tow truck driver who had two elderly aunts living in a town where I used to live and where we had a mutual acquaintence in a local preacher. The Dairy Queen lady was helpful and friendly and full of information that I needed. The tow truck driver was protective of me, explaining exactly what Triple A could and would do for me, and then making sure that I had the opportunity for something to drink and a bathroom break. Having the car break down on me was frustrating at best and definitely an interruption of my plans, but what a double blessing I got in these two kind people because I had that interruption. Without the breakdown I would have missed the kindness of two strangers.

Now there are some interruptions I'd just as soon do without. The telephone call from a computer telling me what a wonderful candidate X is when I'm in the middle of a bath is the first one that comes to mind. Or the overloaded grocery bag that breaks just as I get to the car on the WalMart parking lot. Or how about the downpour that starts as you are halfway between your car and the church door...without an umbrella?

I wonder how many interruptions I have that are really blessings in disguise but I don't recognize them. Or maybe I'm too focused on myself and my time and my schedule to embrace them. Do I recognize the interruptions that are gifts or do I skip over them, impatient to go on my way? Driving home from Missouri I saw mile after mile of wildflowers blooming on the side of the highway. I should have stopped and taken some pictures. But I was in a hurry and didn't want to "waste" the 10 minutes that might have taken - it would have been an interruption. So I didn't capture the beauty that God sent my way. I remember all too well the times when my children were small that they interrupted me during phone calls, or while I was in the middle of cooking dinner, or working on a project of some kind. I was often short with them or I put them off till "later". Looking back I'm very sure I missed some wonderful times with them because I didn't want to be interrupted. I'd give a lot for do overs.

I've decided I'm going to slow down...let myself be interrupted more often, listen more carefully to the messages God is sending me and not worry about stopping in the middle of what I'm doing. If you want to call me and I'm half through cooking dinner I'm going to turn the fire off and sit down and visit - heavens, if you'd called me the other day I might not have burned those beans! If one of my children wants to tell me something, and yes they are all adults now but I don't care, I'm going to stop and talk. If I see a flower I'm going to pause and breathe in and if a dog shows up on my doorstep I'm going to pet him and see if he has any words of wisdom for me. (That could be because I want a dog and my husband is still saying no.)

Let's embrace the interruptions of life - they could be the best part!

6 comments:

Tracy P. said...

You are SO right Marlene! I especially need to hear the part about the interruptions from my kids. No one needs to tell me to stop and take a picture, but stop to hear what's on my kiddoes minds is a different story!

Joyful said...

Marlene, what a beautiful post! I loved the ending..."Let's embrace the interruptions of life - they could be the best part!"

Lest your readers think I'm always so accommodating to interruptions, I am not! Just so thankful the Lord over-rode my feelings of frustration that morning and gave me a divine encounter.

Like you, I pray that because of that moment, I will welcome interruptions - and even look forward to them - as God directing my life and writing in surprise chapters of blessing that I might not have chosen.

Enjoying Him today,
Joy

Raquel said...

Yes, sometimes interruptions can be precious. I struggle with patience, I know it is a virtue, but one that you really have to work hard to attain. Much love, Raquel XO

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

Well said, well said. I too wish I could have a few do overs, but now that I know better, I will do better!

Great post!

BrenWall61@gmail.com said...

You are so right about stopping and enjoying and getting the most out of the moment. I wonder what all I have missed being too busy. Enjoyed your blog- someone at guild tonight told me about it. I'll be back. Mine blog is "nevertoolatetohavefun."
Brenda

Christine said...

Here, here! What a wonderful post. I try my best to adhere to the same. My favorite childrens book was called "The Casual Observer". It was about taking time to smell the roses and watch the lady bug, etc. I've never forgotten it and try to live by it though it's easy to forget.