Don't let the difficulties of the present moments overshadow the reality of God's promises. God's promises still stand. And God's promises are stronger than our failures.

Saturday, June 8, 2013

I Love The Farmer's Market!

When I got up this morning, in this hot southern state of Arkansas, the temperature was 58.  It was like Heaven!  I did an early morning walk, showered, dressed and headed out to The Farmer's Market.  Look at the wonderful vegetables, fruit and bread I found today:



That yellow squash is a new kind of zucchini called Sunbeam - at least it's new to me.  I already have the green beans and new potatoes cooking.  The carrots are scrubbed and waiting to be simmered in a little water, drained and a little butter and brown sugar added.  I sliced some of the cucumbers and have them crisping in some ice water.  I don't fry foods any more but I really think I might have to break my rule with that zucchini...it's not as large as it looks but it's the perfect size for frying.  The bread is a regular wheat loaf with sunflower seeds added; I had a nice visit with the Amish lady (who baked it yesterday).  And the strawberries will be sliced at the last minute and have a little cream added.  My husband, who has been in Mexico on a mission trip, comes home today and since he's really a meat and potatoes man I think I'll let him grill some venison burgers since it's the perfect weather for being on the deck.  Doesn't that scrumptious?

12 comments:

Ray and Jeanne said...

Sounds like a great day! It was 51 here in northern Illinois this morning - we thought it was like Heaven because it was warmer than 40! Not sure where our summer weather is but it hasn't arrived here yet! Enjoy! ~Jeanne

Vroomans' Quilts said...

I like the cooler temps too (but not the rain). Wonderful selection from the market - the bread sounds scrumptious!

Grammy Staffy said...

Yes it does....wish I could join you for dinner. I miss you stopping by my blog. I think of you often with love. Hugs, Lura

Rhonda M said...

It has been cool here in Kentucky in the mornings also, but is a warm 81 right now. I think your vegetables are a bit father along than ours because it will be a few more weeks before our green beans and squash are ready. We do have a little market here in town that makes regular trips to Georgia, so we have had some nice tomatoes from there. Your dinner looks wonderful!

Michelle said...

Mmmmm...Mmmmmm....

Brenda said...

Yummy! Sounds wonderful. I should have went to the farmers market today, instead I went quilt shop hopping all by myself. I did get some fabric needed to get some projects finished but I sure missed my best friend that usually goes with me. Have a wonderful Sunday!

Gmama Jane said...

That yellow zucchini is new to me so I'm quite curious to hear how it tastes! I have 4 in. size zucchini's ready to cut in a couple of days. You know how those little suckers can grow over night and hide from you so I will have to keep my eye on them. Same for my yellow straight neck squash. I switched from crook neck to straight neck squash to see if I like it better. The garden is looking better than ever due to all the rain. Going to make squash pickle soon as I get enough to make a batch. Love to you!
Jane

Susannah said...

Yum! I could make a meal of just the vegetables. It will be nice to have hubby back home today.

FlourishingPalms said...

That's my kind of shopping and eating! We've been doing the same lately, as I'm closely monitoring my weight since being put on a drug to keep cancer away... but that the doc told me will cause a six to eight pound weight gain by July. I will NOT let that happen! So, meals are sometimes only steamed vegetables. The asparagus here has been very good too. And of course, I'm loving the fresh blueberries in my morning smoothie. If you decide you like that sunflower seed Amish bread, let me know. I have an excellent recipe for it that I searched-out after buying a loaf from some Amish at a farmer's market!

Carrie P. said...

Me too. I go just about every Saturday to two that is in our town. Before long I won't have to go as often if my garden produces like I hope it will.

Needled Mom said...

There is nothing quite like the fresh vegetables from the garden and Farmer's markets. I'm sure they were delicious.

Jenny Watson Blogs said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.