Don't let the difficulties of the present moments overshadow the reality of God's promises. God's promises still stand. And God's promises are stronger than our failures.

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Displaying Stitcheries


Last week someone mentioned displaying quilts and asked how others did that. I'm going to show some pictures of some of my "stitcheries" and how I have them in my home. I do a lot of quilting but over the years I've done some other things like counted cross stitch and crochet. When you enter my Living/Dining Room the brown Snail's Trail quilt is hanging on the wall. That's sort of a hallway though it doesn't look like it here. I made that one from a kit I bought in Las Vegas many, many years ago. The Dresden Plate quilt that hangs in the dining area was pieced by my grandmother. My mother added a little embroidery and I hand quilted it. I just noticed that I don't have a centerpiece on the table. Wonder where I put it? :) No telling!
This is the other side of the dining area where there are shelves dividing the dining area from the sunroom. On the hutch you can just barely see that I hung a cross stitch verse. I put a push pin in the back of the shelf and hung it on that. It makes a tiny hole that I don't mind having there. I have navy placemats out right now - I made those so long ago I can't remember when!




The napkins laying on the hutch are stenciled, but not by me. That's something I've wanted to try but haven't done yet.



In this picture you'll see several things. On the left is the sort-of-hallway I mentioned above and the wall you see is part of my kitchen. There's a quilted wallhanging "Basket of Apples" there (I'll try to show that again in a day or two a little closer). On the wall above the desk are two counted cross stitch pictures and in the right corner I have a quilt on a quilt rack. I've since moved that to the center hallway. And on the treadle sewing machine I have a quilted table runner.










There's a quilt on the back of the couch - goodness I could have straightened the cushions before I took this! And on the wicker chest is a candle mat that I embroidered.






I keep my quilt frame out of the way in the center hall but you can see it from the living room so I guess it's on display too!







Over the mantle is another quilted wallhanging with a counted cross stitch picture as it's center. On the cabinet on the left is a small Basket table runner and on the shelves on the right are a couple of antique quilts.








My favorite thing I guess is this antique china cabinet where I keep quilts. I rotate them though there are several that I never take out - ones that my grandmothers made and a couple of the older ones my mother made as well as a couple of baby quilts that belonged to my children. There's also a table runner on the table beside the rocker and a crocheted afghan on the chair. I don't think that's an afghan I made though....I alternate it with one in the camper and they are very similar so I'm not sure.
Isn't it funny - these pictures were made just a couple of weeks ago and already I've moved the furniture! Now I'll have to make more pictures to show you. Later I'll show you another room or two if anyone's interested.

28 comments:

Unknown said...

Interested? Ummmm....YES!!!!

I am drooling...you house is so beautiful and filled with lovely creations.

Might you do a show and tell on the quilts in your china cabinet one day?

Look forward to more photos...I was too busy looking at all the beautiful work to notice the sofa cushions.

Anonymous said...

You have a charming home and the quilts are so pretty. I love the stack of quilts in the cupboard.

Val said...

I just love seeing how your home looks. It shows what you love. It is just beautiful. Home is definately where the heart is. I can't wait to see more pictures. Thank you for sharing.

Ruth said...

I so much enjoyed seeing the pictures of your home. It is lovely and the quilts are wonderful treasures!

molly said...

Well I don't think anyone would doubt that a quilter lives at your house! I don't have so many quilts lying/hanging around. Trouble is, if I'm moved to finish a quilt it usually means I'm on a deadline---for a gift, or Christmas, or a new baby....or a guild challenge! So I'm like the shoemaker whose children go barefoot! Seeing how lovely yours look I'm going to have to finish some of my UFOs just for ME!

Tracy P. said...

Your family is so blessed--you are giving them such a godly heritage now, and they will one day have such tangible treasures to remind them of it!

Anonymous said...

Love all your quilts -- especially your antique china cabinet!

Needled Mom said...

Everything looks so nice. I really like how you are able to display so many of your crafts. The china cabinet is just fabulous for displating the quilts.

Di said...

As so many others have said, our antique china cabinet with its gorgeous quilts is stuning! Visitors must admire it, I'm sure.

Michelle said...

Thank you for the tour. I'm looking forward to more pictures! If I came to your home, you would find me all comfy in one of the chairs next to the fireplace. Got any hot chocolate and marshmallows?

Your home is lovely. Bring on more pictures!
Blessings,
Michelle

Lindah said...

Thank you for inviting us for show and tell in your lovely home. You have a very busy needle! And a creative way of displaying your work. Thanks, Marlene!

Marie Rayner said...

My goodness Marlene, but you have a lovely home and so many beautiful quilts!!

Jan said...

Yes I am interested ,what a delightful home full of the wonderful things you have made ,I just love it ,wish I was there to see up close, and touch even ,...love Jan xx

Valerie the Pumpkin Patch Quilter said...

How beautiful and cozy your home is! :) I love how you've displayed your creations, and the snails trails is so cute! Love it! :)

Barbara said...

I would love to see more of how you display your quilts. Your home looks so warm and inviting. Thank you for showing it.

Lisa @ Life with 4! said...

you have a lovely home. having homemade items around seems to make it feel inviting and cozy. i like the idea of rotating the quilts you have on display. very nice.

Kathy said...

What a beautiful home and all those wonderful quilts, cross-stitcheries, etc.

I LOVE your cabinet for displaying quilts.

You have inspired me to get some pictures made and posted on my blog!

Calamity Jane's Cottage, Bonnie said...

Hi Marlene, you have a beautiful home and I really like the way you displayed your quilts, we want to see more....
I didn't realize you did cross stitch so much.
I enjoyed the visit.
Keep Stitchen'
Bonnie

em's scrapbag said...

What an inviting home you have. All your handi work is beautiful. I would love to see more.

Dionne said...

Your house is so beautiful and cozy! I LOVE LOVE LOVE that china cabinet! It would have never occured to be to use it that way. I LOVE IT! Thank you so much for sharing these pictures.
Cheers,
Dionne

Debbie said...

Your house is lovely! Everything looks so inviting:)

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

So you already tweaked those rooms huh? Well of course we want updated pics!! Your quilts displayed in that cabinet are wonderful Marlene!!

Memaw's memories said...

I have so few things that I have made on display anywhere in my house. Seems like I give everything away as soon as I get it made. I don't quilt, but I've always wanted to. I actually have a dresdan plate ready to put together. I'd made the plates, but never got around to putting them on the backing. Maybe in my retirement.

Your home is lovely and so warm.

Aunt Julie said...

An artist, an interior designer, and downright crafty, too. I'd love to see the contents of that china cabinet, all spread out!

Cindy @ Creating at Home said...

I love your antique china cabinet! I've been looking for something like that for ages! It's gorgeous.

Mary L. Briggs said...

It's all so pretty, Marlene! You are so talented! I think my favorite thing you showed was the china cabinet~those quilts look so pretty in there--I just love to see them displayed in homes.

Lena . . . said...

I so admire all the handmade things you have in your home. My problem is that I make all these things and then give them away so I don't have much of my stuff to display.

Monica at Buttoncounter said...

Marlene,

Thank you for inviting me over to your virtual home. I had a cup of coffee and talked to the computer so that I could really feel 'there'. I should clean my house and invite you over now.

Monica