Don't let the difficulties of the present moments overshadow the reality of God's promises. God's promises still stand. And God's promises are stronger than our failures.

Friday, July 18, 2008

Finished by Friday and Freaked Out


Are you getting tired of Winter Wonderland yet? I hope not because this is only the 5th block I've finished and I think there are 5 more! There are only 2 more small ones and the rest are large - one of them is the width of the quilt! Don't expect another one to be finished next week because I'm going to do some machine sewing instead of hand work.


I actually finished two other things this week but I can't show them to you yet. They are both gifts for bloggers who read my posts and I don't want to spoil the surprise. Next week I'll have pictures of them since I plan for everything to go in the mail by Tuesday.

When I e-mailed one of the giftees yesterday to tell her I'd be mailing her gift this is what I said, "I'll be mailing you your gift on Tuesday. That's the day I go to the post office." When I realized what I'd said I screamed. Really loud. Scared my husband, who came running to see if I'd seen a snake or gotten electrocuted or lost my mind. I'm sure I was babbling when I said, "I've become my grandmother!" I go to the post office on Tuesday. Do you realize what that means? Routine. My life is in a routine. It's like those vintage tea towels I love that are embroidered:
Monday Washing, Tuesday Ironing, Wednesday Baking, Thursday Cleaning, Friday Mending, Saturday Gardening, Sunday Church. I go to the post office on Tuesday.

I'm going to have to make up new tea towels:
Monday Blogging
Tuesday Post Office
Wednesday Blogging
Thursday Sewing
Friday Blogging
Saturday Cooking/Cleaning/Mending/Washing/Ironing/
Sunday Church



I'm telling you it freaked me out. I don't mind some routines - you know the kind like get up in the morning, brush your teeth, wash your face, shower, put on makeup, get dressed. That kind of routine is comforting. But the kind where I always do something on a certain day makes me feel kind of June Cleaverish. Which is not totally bad, except then Wally and the Beaver would be my kids. Wouldn't that freak you out too?

Do you have a routine?

17 comments:

Sharon said...

One of my fears is that I'll start being predictable. This makes my family laugh their heads off, because I'm actually quite predictable. But not "going-to-the-post-office-on-Tuesday" predictable. Yet.

Anonymous said...

Hahaha - Marlene, you make me laugh, as with many of your posts.

I have a question about your redwork... do you use DMC embroidery floss for doing the redwork, and how many strands of floss do you use each time? And is the stitch you use pretty much like a stem stitch?

The Christmas Wreath quilt pattern is a free pattern from McCall's Quilting website in case you want to make it for Christmas this year.

Suzanne said...

Oh I love the redwork, I'd never get tired of looking at it. As far as a set routine - I try to avoid it at all costs because that's my MIL. One to two hours cleaning up the kitchen after breakfast (REALLY!!), an hour or so dragging something around her bathroom, mop the kitchen floor.....well, you get the idea.

- Suzanne, the Farmer's Wife

Raquel said...

I am ROFL! Yes, I do have a routine, I have to as I work from home. Otherwise, I would never work, I would just be reading blogs, and crafting and . .. you get the idea! Much love - Raquel XO

Alexandra MacVean said...

These are very cute!! I love the snowman fight and I really love the terriers..of course I'm partial, as I have a scotty. ;-)
Hope you have a good Saturday.

Adrienne said...

I'm with you - I'm afraid I'll become like my mother and my grandmother with their routines. Your handwork is just gorgeous. I love the tea towels you made. I have a really sweet set that my dear aunt made for me. I haven't shared them yet. I'll do that soon. She's here to visit from out-of-state so I should feature them while she's here!

Thanks for stopping by to visit my blog and for your sweet comments. I always love to hear from you. Come back again soon. I'll be back to see what you have to share.
~Adrienne~

Grammy Staffy said...

all those years I was teaching I was so organized. I had a routine down pat. I got almost everything done.

Now that I am retired something wierd happened. I don't have a routine but I am so busy I don't get half of the things done I plan to do. What's the story?? How did I manage all those years that I worked??? Don't ask me.

Thanks for the advice today. I will be careful on the river.

molly said...

Lovely stitching! I've had horrifying moments like that where I'd say something, then hear the echo of myself saying it,and crumple to the ground sobbing "Oh no! I'm turning into my mother!" Not that I didn't love my mother. I just had the world so firmly by the tail when I was younger, and was determined to do things MY way, which would, of course, be a better way than hers!
I think it's called karma.....

Raquel said...

On the warm water: Just like checking a baby bottle. If it feels barely warm on your wrist, it is warm enough. Cold will not hurt, but heat kills the yeast. You could do it with warm temperature water, because it is going to sit at room temperature for an hour anyway!

Anonymous said...

I really love the redwork for the winter quilt you are doing! Keep em coming!

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

OK...June. Don't knock Wally and the Beave!

Thank you for this post. It warms my heart this night as I am lonely for some friendship. You made me laugh, and laughter is one of my favorite things in all the world.

I especially love unique laughs...you know the kind...the ones that turn heads and forces others to join in regardless of the intiating humor.

Anyway, my mom's been over to visit your blog and just called me to comment about your posts. She loves it, and friend, that is saying something! I like it too.

Keep humoring me and keep keeping it real.

peace~elaine

Anonymous said...

I have a routine for everything! And if my routine gets mixed up-I feel like a 2 year old who needs their Mom like now! I'm really pathetic I can't be spontaneous at all. I just can't. I want everything planned out. I told you I'm really pathetic.

Your hand work is amazing-so neat!

Lora @ my blessed life said...

Hi there!
I've just been reading your post on that amazing resort in Mexico that you were at. WOW! I could go for a vacation like that:) It sounds wonderful--I'm glad you were able to enjoy it!
Yes, there is a new fabric shop in VB--I'm sorry I can't remember the name (but I could ask my sister to find out for you). It's only been open a month. Its geared toward quilters especially, carrying only wonderful collections of cotton fabrics. They are so unique and pretty! Plus they have ALL the fabrics not only on the bolt, but also cut into fat quarters, small squares, rolls of strips, etc. So it's all ready for your projects. It made me wish that I sewed! My sister does though and I bought her a selection for her birthday. The owner also told us that she has about 200 more bolts coming very soon. I hope you get a chance to check it out soon. Its right on Main St. downtown.

Calamity Jane's Cottage, Bonnie said...

Hi Marlene, I was raised with a routine of supper at 4:00 everyday, except on Friday when we were in the truck to go to camp at 4:00. I said I would never have a routine, but now I almost have to just to remember what to do....
Love your redwork. I'm fixing to order a pattern by Crabapple Hill that has a lot of handwork.
Hugs,
Bonnie

Aunt Julie said...

I'm afraid that summertime has been taken up with too much blogging! But a weekday morning usually looks like this, since both teens and the hubby are out of the house for the day: Breakfast and read the paper; blog; errands; blog; clean the basement (or whatever "meaningful" activity I'm engaged in); blog; swim some laps at the local pool; dinner; family time; blog? bed. Too much bloggy time, I know!

Alexandra MacVean said...

Good morning.
Wishing you a beautiful day by the lake! :)
love,
alex

Dawn said...

Ha! How super funny! And yes we have Grocery Day on Wednesdays when I buy all of the groceries for the week.

And it's sooooo funny to hear the kids rummage through the kitchen on Tuesday lamenting that "there is NoThInG good to eat" and "good thing tomorrow is shopping day."