Don't let the difficulties of the present moments overshadow the reality of God's promises. God's promises still stand. And God's promises are stronger than our failures.

Saturday, July 26, 2008

Please Read This Warning

A couple of days ago I posted about a few things that had happened at our house over the last several months - a flood in the spring which floated our dock about 8 feet out into the lake, a seawall that had to be repaired last year, a pump that went out this week. All of those things were rather pricey but the intent of the post was mainly to poke fun at my husband (obviously I adore him and know he can take a joke!) and make light of everyday things that we fret over but that, in the big scheme of things, just aren't important.

Today I'm a little more serious than that. In April this year I had a little stroke. I've mentioned that before because it ultimately led to me blogging. Since that time I've been having headaches which are frequent but of short duration and actually pretty minor. I chalked it up to residual effects of the stroke. Several times in the last couple of weeks I've thought I detected the smell of gas when I was cooking, and a time or two my husband agreed and said we should call the gas company to check. I procrastinated. Today my friend Sandy and I were sitting on the deck drinking coffee - well she was drinking coffee but I wasn't because I hate the stuff - when I decided to pop some muffins in the oven. I turned the oven on and put in the muffins before it even got hot and went back out onto the deck to chat. About 10 minutes later we came in to check on them and immediately Sandy said "I smell gas." Because she insisted I called the "hot line" and they were at my house in 30 minutes. Pretty quickly the gentleman said, "there's no gas leak but this meter is telling me to check for carbon monoxide." And when he did the numbers immediately started skyrocketing up! (Disclaimer: this is not my stove! the picture is compliments of Flickr)

Apparently the seal on the oven was cracked and it was leaking carbon monoxide. Did you know that could happen with a gas stove? I didn't. And not only that but whatever was cooked in the oven could be contaminated. Needless to say, he declined my offer of a muffin. :) And here's the scary part - we have a carbon monoxide detector right through the kitchen door in the dining room. It's not on a battery, it's plugged into a wall outlet so why didn't it go off? It is even down low, close to the floor where it's supposed to be. But it did not go off. It's not old, probably a year, but it did not go off.

My husband hasn't been getting headaches, which is the first sign of carbon monoxide poisoning, but he doesn't bake. I've had my head down in that oven several times this week - cornbread, oven-baked chicken, toast, muffins. Scary stuff.

Needless to say we bought a new stove today. Another $1000. And here I am posting about it. Not to moan and groan at yet another expense. Not to poke fun at my conservative husband who hates expenses like that. I'm posting for two reasons. If you have a gas stove get it checked. Make sure you have a carbon monoxide detector near it and not in the next room. And to say that I am so thankful that I was protected by my Father, who watches over me and loves me and who sent my dear friend Sandy to spend the night with me. She is a "worry wart" (her term, not mine), bossy (again, her term), and who insisted that I call right then. I would have put it off until next week.

18 comments:

Pieceful Afternoon said...

Wow- glad you are safe - and the house is safe - things could have gotten so much worse.

We don't have a gas stove but I'll have our daughter get hers checked right away.

Grammy Staffy said...

Dear Marlene,
I am so glad that you are o.k. Thanks for the warning. That is really scary stuff.

How is your brother doing? If been thinking about him and hope he is recovering from his surgery well.
Love, Lura

Amy a.k.a. dragonryder4 said...

Oh Malene I'm so happy that you & your DH are safe. That is awful wierd about the detector though. We don't have gas but my client does and I'll be having his checked out soon.
Hugs,
Amy

Dandelion Quilts said...

Glad you are alright! When I was in college, I woke in the night and smelled gas. It was coming from our stovetop. It can be scaret stuff, for sure. Doesn't it just seem like when it rains, it pours? Hang in there...things out to be swinging in the upward direction now.

Marcie said...

Good for Sandy for being so "bossy"! What a scary thing to happen. So glad everyone is OK.

Lori said...

I am so glad you're okay. Scary stuff! I never thought about the seal on my stove. Guess I better.

Ivory Spring said...

Wow - Marlene, it is pretty scary! I am glad to hear that everyone is fine.

Are you liking your new stove? :)

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Thank God for his provision over your life! Sorry about the $. We need to find a rich blogger who does "appliance" giveaways!

peace~elaine

Sharon said...

Wow, Marlene! Thank God for friends, huh? And that the gas company is so responsive. I'm glad your headaches were so easily solved and not another medical problem. I never knew a gas stove could leak like that! What a story - I'm glad it has a happy ending. (well, other than the $$ part, that is.)

Raquel said...

Wow, scary! We use an electric stove, have for years. Gas is so scary to me. Glad that everything is ok (aside from money woes). Much love - Raquel XO

sister sheri said...

Thanks for sharing this incident. I've noticed a "gas" smell close to my gas fireplace for a long time... I've had the gas company out to no avail... no gas leak. I will be getting it checked now for carbon monoxide. Thanks, Marlene!

Tipper said...

So scary! Sorry about the expense-but glad you figured it out before it was to late.

Molly said...

Glad you're OK! That's scary stuff. Have the headaches gone now?

Calamity Jane's Cottage, Bonnie said...

Hi Marlene, I'm so glad ya are all alright. I've learned more about you with this post, I didn't know you have had a mini stroke and you need to watch out for the headaches. Sandy came to visit at just the right time, it is so good to have good friends. Thanks so much for the warnings. I'm always worried about it in our camper.
Blessings,
Bonnie

Granny Sue said...

Good grief. That could have been a much more serious story. I'm so glad you're safe. The price you paid for the stove is pretty low compared to the price you could have paid if you did nothing--your life.

Rhondi said...

Marlene
I sure am glad you found the leak! Hugs, Rhondi

Morah said...

WOW!glad all is well!

Diane Fay (littlealma) said...

Wow - that was a scary story! I have a friend who also had a carbon monoxide leak from her furnace! And she also had the c.m. detectors throughout her house, and none went off with her also! That is what is also very scary! Glad to hear you are okay!!!

I have been enjoying reading your blog! (esp. the one about visiting a friend. And letting them talk about loved ones. I lost my parents at a young age, and no one ever mentioned them, and I always felt like I had a pre-parents and a post-parents life... anyway - what a blessing you are to this woman - God bless you!

Hugs from Michigan - Diane