Don't let the difficulties of the present moments overshadow the reality of God's promises. God's promises still stand. And God's promises are stronger than our failures.

Monday, July 7, 2008

Six Random Things

I was tagged by Angie at Can You Hear Me At The Back to write 6 random things about myself. Wow! Six things. About myself. I’m a mom and a grandmother and a wife and like most women I don’t think about myself. Much. Or at least not in a way that I can put out there on the Internet. But I’ll give it a shot…..




Thing 1. I didn’t go to college till I was 35. Yep, 35. Of course, I don’t count the time I was fresh out of high school and started college only to quit 3 weeks later to get married. I told my Daddy I was in love and wanted to go to the U where my boyfriend was. But no, Daddy insisted that I go to a different college. Just because I had a scholarship there…now I ask you, is that any reason to make me be apart from the love of my life? So the thing is I was only 17 when I started college that first time. Three weeks later I was 18 and an adult and could make decisions for myself so I quit school and got married. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Turns out though that the marriage was good – 44 years this fall. :) So at 35 when I realized that an education is pretty much a necessity in life (I’m a late bloomer, what can I say?) I was hittin’ the books with the 18 year old party animals. One thing I can say about going to college late in life and paying for it yourself instead of Daddy writing the checks is that you make way better grades than the 18 year old party animals.




Thing 2. God called my name when I was 5 years old and sent a limousine to pick me up. Of course it was a 1951 sedan and the driver was the neighbor down the street but that’s beside the point. Said neighbor and his wife invited our whole family to go to church with them and their two kids. My parents, who weren’t church goers then, quickly agreed to let me and my sister and both brothers go with the neighbors. I’m sure my parents were tickled to death to get rid of 4 kids for a few hours once a week and I’m probably darn lucky they didn’t add kid #5 during that time! The neighbors loaded up all 4 of us, along with their 2, in the back seat of that sedan (that was before seat belt laws) and took us to Sunday School and church for a year. When they were transferred out of town my sister transferred to the Baptist church that was closer to home and my two brothers quit going, but I continued to walk to the Methodist church where I’d started. It was only about 6 or 7 blocks and I was, after all, 6 years old and plenty old enough to go alone. Those were different times. Fifty Six years later and I’m still going to the Methodist church. I don’t walk any more though.




Thing 3. I’m addicted to my sister. Yep, addicted. I live in one state, she lives in another. I’m shy, really. I know you don’t believe me, but really I am. She’s not. If you meet her today before you leave 10 minutes later she will know your full name, the names of all your children and their birthdates and will have invited you over to watch tv. Any time. Just drop by. You’d be addicted to her, too! We talk every day. Sometimes twice. Or more. If I go on vacation I want her to go too. If I need advice I ask her. If I need to whine, I whine to her. If I read a book I love I want her to read it too. Now. So we can talk about it. If I need prayer I call her. Yep, addicted.
















Thing 4. I’m 61. Almost 62, but not yet. And I have no wrinkles. You heard me. Please don’t hate me. I might have one tiny one by my eyes – really, one. My hair is white but it’s been white for many years. I dyed it forever and quit a
year or so ago. It kind of throws people for me to have white hair and no wrinkles. It’s my mother’s fault. She was 79 when she died and she had only two wrinkles. It has to be some genetic thing and if I could bottle it I’d so be a millionaire. Of course, it could be that I’m so overweight that the fat just keeps the wrinkled filled out. No, must be genetic.


Thing 5. I hate sports. I hate competition of any kind. I don’t understand why you can’t just play for fun. My husband was a football coach. My son is a football coach. They speak a different language from me. Their television watch list is a who’s who of competitions – football, basketball, baseball, golf, car races, Ice Truckers, hot dog eating contests. I really and truly heard them talking about the national hot dog eating contest. I just don’t get it. If I’m standing in line at WalMart I will let you get in front of me with no protest. If you want to cut into my lane in rush hour traffic, go ahead. If we’re sitting at a red light and you gun your motor I’ll wave as you take off. I might even blow you a kiss. If we both enter a blog give-away and you win I’ll be thrilled for you. Unless it’s a Starbucks gift card. Then I’ll pout.


Thing 6. I have another addiction besides my sister. Starbucks Iced Venti Chai Tea Latte, non-fat please. I can say that in my sleep. When I was working I didn’t think about it much because I was working and had a little “play money.” Now I’m retired and that retirement check doesn’t stretch quite as far as a real paycheck did. So I asked around and found out that I could order the concentrate from CoffeeAm - $5.95 a 32 oz. box, 12 to a case, plus shipping. For months now I’ve been ordering a case, or two, and having it delivered right to my door. As you know gas prices have skyrocketed which means that shipping has gone up as well. Since I’m a woman I was having a real case of the guilts. Women are Guilt Queens you know. Anyway, this week I found a Starbucks store that carries MY chai concentrate for $4.95 a box. It was at Barnes and Noble, where I have a card (well, to tell the truth my sister has a card but I can use hers), and I got 10% off that. And no shipping! I am saving so much money I figure I can up my chai intake by at least 20%.
Whew! That’s 6! According to Angie, I’m also supposed to:
# Link to the person who tagged you# Post the rules on the blog# Write six random things about yourself….oh yea, did that one# Tag six people at the end of your post# Let each person know they have been tagged by leaving a comment on their blog# Let the tagger know when your entry is up

Now it’s decision making time. Who do I tag? Six people – I can think of dozens of people I’d like to know more about. But only six…..that’s tough. Let’s try these 6 – and please know that if I tag you I will not have my feelings hurt if you decide not to do this or if you’ve already been tagged, or if you don’t believe in tags, or if you don’t have time because you need to clean your bathroom or weed the garden or oil your kids skateboard wheels. Or whatever.
Ivory Spring who has beautiful treasures and does the most beautiful smocking, among other things, you've ever seen.
Pat at Bird Nest on the Ground does extraordinary embroidery, makes wonderful pincushions and ATC cards, and the list goes on.
Rebecca at Wonders Never Cease has a great roll call of Wonders of the World.
And how about Granny Su who's a great story teller - you should read about the dragonfly.
Southern Lady has a great recipe for washing clothes and if you scroll back a day or two some really special photos of cemetary monuments she spotted - yes, that's what I said.
And you really, really must check out Tipper at Blind Pig and the Acorn, especially her Grannisms. Wonderful!
If you haven't visited these blogs before, or even if you have, go visit them now. Do it! Now! You'll be glad you did.

10 comments:

Calamity Jane's Cottage, Bonnie said...

Hi Marlene, gosh it feels like I've been away for a while. I had to get caught up on several of your post. I got to know a little bit more about you, which your personality just shines.
The Ants go marching one by one....
All of that baking, I would of been sick. Did the quilt turn out OK?
I can't wait to see the finished quilt. Great wedding gift.
Hugs,
Bonnie

sister sheri said...

What a great post! I love how you are addicted to your sister... so cute! I adore it!

And about the wrinkles... as soon as I turned 40 which was less then 4 months ago... my neck attracted every extra piece of skin... We'll have to see how long my mousy brown hair lasts!

Granny Sue said...

Hello,

I'm glad you stopped by my blog. i'll have to take you up on the tag when I get a chance. Your 6 things are such fun! you and I are alike in not enjoying competition.

I'll be back to read more. Oh, and I posted my cemetery pictures this morning before I read your post about someone else who also takes pictures of cemetery stones. So I'm not the only weird one!

Heather said...

My name is Heather, and I'm a Starbucks addict. What DO they put in that coffee that makes me need it so? Your sister looks (and sounds) adorable and I love that you two are so close. I don't have a sister, but I've always wanted one. It's why God gave me four girls.

Rhondi said...

Hi Marlene
I guess I could say that I am addicted to my sister too. I never really thought about it like that but it's true. Hope youhave a good week!
Hugs, Rhondi

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

I wish I was addicted to my sister. I addicted to avoidance. Is that bad to confess? Don' answer.

peace~elaine

Anonymous said...

Hey no fair Marlene! I'm 33 and am one huge wrinkle. Well, maybe I'm exaggerating a bit... it was fun to learn about you. I have been a lazy blog reader lately, I need to visit more often and catch up on your great posts! x

Dandelion Quilts said...

Marlene, what an interesting life story you tell. :) Wow, I can't believe how gutsy you must have been to go off and get married like that. He must be some guy! :) I am jealous of the wrinkle comment. I am only 31 and I have them coming in buckets. I think I feel one right now!

Anonymous said...

Hi Marlene,

Thanks for the tag! :) My sister actually did the post on me about the 6 random things on my blog...

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed your random things. I'm shy too and I'm jealous of your "no wrinkles"! You're right if you could bottle it-you'd be rich!

Thank you for mentioning my blog and for thinking of tagging me!