Don't let the difficulties of the present moments overshadow the reality of God's promises. God's promises still stand. And God's promises are stronger than our failures.

Thursday, September 3, 2009

Satan Has Been Defeated Again!

I'm reporting back to let you all know that the bowl has been returned to the church and Satan has gotten himself behind me! This time. I'm not bragging because I know he will return when I'm least expecting it!

I went shopping this morning. Hate it. With a passion. I need a new camera because mine has decided it doesn't love me any more. It will only take one picture and then it shuts itself off. And probably it knows we're going on vacation soon and doesn't want to take all those pictures I have planned. I am camera technology challenged big time. I know I want a 35 mm because that's what I've had the last two times and I like it. Is there any other kind these days? I certainly don't know. Anyway I've always bought Kodak before because my parents always had a Kodak, now how's that for a reason? I don't want to pay more than a couple hundred but I am willing to branch out to other brands. I'm looking at a Canon....maybe.

Here's the issue I'm finding. They have tons of cameras at Best Buy and Sam's, the two places I've looked. But have you noticed how small they've gotten? They're like credit card size. I'm not kidding! And I'm soon going to be 63 for heaven's sake and I have "middle aged eyes". That's what the eye doc said and I'm stickin' to his story! So what's a girl to do? After the $200 ones they jump to $500 and they do everything but drive my car for me which will do me absolutely no good because all I plan to do is aim and push the button. And take the card out and put it in my computer.

So who has a camera in that $200 price range that has big enough buttons for me to see them and that you love? And what is it?

Oh and by the way, that question up there "What's a girl to do?" reminds me of my mom's best friend, Doris. After Mama died my sister and I took care of Doris. She was a widow and had no children and I can't remember exactly how old she was when she died but somewhere near 85 plus or minus a few years. When she went shopping she might very well have on her husband's old ragged clothes and a nasty headscarf on her head but she had on makeup, and lots of it! She couldn't see well so lipstick would be smeared and rouge would be big round circles and eye shadow would be out to her hairline nearly. I can still here her say she would never be without her makeup because honey, "a girl's gotta do what a girl can do!" Precious memories... but if you ever see me looking like that call me Doris and I'll wash it off I promise.

12 comments:

Lelia Chealey said...

Good job returning the bowl! Such godly character shown. Love the Doris story, but if I see you like that would you be mad if I borrow your camera and took pics 1st and blogged on it? Then call you Doris?

Angie said...

I'm the World #1 Technophobe" my Camera is a Nikon Coolpix 7.1 megapixels. There are all kinds of numbers around it but they don't mean much to me. "Aim, push the butto, put card in computer" - yep, that's what it does and it's about the size of a cigarette packet.

My old friend and surrogate Grandma Helen was 93 when she died but she never considered herself "old". She used to say in her frightfully posh London accent, "If I ever smell of wee darling, shoot me".

love, Angie, xx
p.s. It'll be back you know, that dish!!!!!!!!!!

Meggie Marchstives@gmail.com said...

Check out Fuji brand cameras. We've had Cannon, Nikon, and Fuji (my husband takes pictures for a living)and by far we've liked Fuji the best. It seems flawless. We have a big one and a one of those pocket size ones. The pocket size one has a big ol' screen in the back so you can see exactly what your picture looks like without squinching your eyes too much. That's my story, and I'm sticking with it.

I'd just keep the bowl, but I'd also send a note to the church secretary that read: Someone sent my husband home with a corning ware bowl that really does not belong to me. Since it seems to be in the way there, I'll be more than happy to keep it safe right here. You know where to contact me should the rightful owner come forward. -Megan-

Amelia said...

I have a Kodak 1015S and I love it. Got it at Wal-Mart and the price was a bit over $200.00. I really do like it..it has bells and whistles if you want to use them - but also has a selection for the point and shoot type. You might want to check it out.

Have a wonderful weekend.

Mary L. Briggs said...

I'm glad to hear about the bowl! As for the camera, I haven't a clue. Mine is even cheaper than the $200 dollar one. It works fine. I'd have no idea what to do with a fancy one. I really don't understand why things are getting so small~cameras, phones, etc.

Susannah said...

In her later years, my MIL would often like to take a ride with us or go to the store with us. I will never forget the time when we pulled into her driveway and she was coming out the door to greet us. She turned around and my goodness....you should have seen her face. It was massive make up all over her face, big red "rouge" cheeks and bright red lipstick that was on twice the size of her little lips!!! I could not believe it ....but I said nothing. My husband got out of the car and said - "Mom, your make up is a little heavy today. So, he took her into her house and when she came back out......well, most of the make up was gone and she looked so nice. She got into the car and proceeded to tell me that she did not use the mirror when she put her make up on. Heavenly days, that was so funny! She was a wonderful delight, though. Maybe that is why she and I always got along so well - I learned to be quiet about some things!

Friends,
Susannah

Needled Mom said...

I have a Nikon and a Canon and tend to grab the Canon most of the time because it is so compact. My eyes are 60 years +++ too. Works for me. Good luck.

Salem Stitcher said...

I'm in the market for a new camera too but it's going to have to wait it's turn...seems I need new tires first. I'll be interested to see which one you choose.

Elaine Adair said...

OH my, laughing about the make-up. Grandma was always so prim and proper, and NEAT, but her eyesight failed and she still wanted to be fashionably dressed, coffed, and with make-up. Obviously, she missed the mark many times, but we remember how she tried!

I think of HER each morning, as I check and recheck (only MOST of the time, not every time) my makeup, after putting my glasses back on. The biggest fear is those wiley chin hairs that sprout in a few hours! ughhhhhh I keep a tweezers in my purse, for gosh sakes! LOL, as well as ughhhhhh!

Adrienne said...

Thanks for reminding me that the extra battery for my camera is d-e-a-d! I just stopped and put it on the charger. We're leaving for the weekend and I know I might need it.

I'm so proud of you for rebuking the devil and taking that bowl back to the church. I had a similar situation when my kids were young and I didn't give in - but it was really hard because it was the very-hard-to-find one piece missing from my yellow depression glass set. The piece I had been searching for for years! And aren't we the Godly women when we do that? Truthfully, glad you did the right thing!

Anxious to hear what camera you end up with. Don't settle for something you don't want, can't pay for and can't see!
~Adrienne~

Joslyn said...

Mom got a Panasonic Lumix and LOVES it... it's very impressive. She did some research through consumer guides and it got excellent ratings - as good (but cheaper) that some of the other major brands. She paid about $280 for it... maybe a little more than what you're looking to spend. I've used it, though, and I think it's worth the little extra.

Driftwood and Pumpkin said...

I hope you find a camera before your trip! Don't want to miss capturing those moments, for sure.

Love the story about Doris. I hope I care enough at 85 to attempt to put it on!